CRESTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #9
REGULAR BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
6 JUNE 2017
Chairman Matt Hartle called the Board of Trustees Meeting to order at 7:32 a.m. in the Creston School Library with the following members present: Austin Hughes, Nancy Keeton, Julie Tikka and Jeff Sullivan. Also in attendance were: Tami Ward – Principal and Tammy Bartos – District Clerk.
Minutes: Jeff Sullivan moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the minutes of the 2 May reorganization and regular meetings. Motion passed unanimously.
Public Participation/Correspondence: The Flathead County Planning and Zoning Department sent a letter regarding a preliminary plat approval of a Subdivision on Riverside Road – a proposal to create 3 lots for residential use.
Clerk – Tammy Bartos presented report. Statement of Expenditure shows General Fund at 100% committed through the beginning of June, we will be receiving the budget amendment monies, which will offset end of year expenses not yet paid for; Fund 115 Title monies have been fully used for the year; Post-Session Preliminary Budget Data Sheets are out and our numbers remained stable with a slight increase of $500.00 to our BASE Budget.
Principal – Tami Ward presented report. Math EasyCBM testing results at year end show 84% of all students at/above benchmark, 11% nearing benchmark, and 5% needing intervention; the teachers and Mrs. Ward will be reviewing and selecting a whole school discipline program this summer to implement next school year; Classroom assignments for next school year are: Kindergarten: Mrs. Milne, First: Ms. Potts, Second: Mrs. Johnson, Third: Mrs. Davidson, Fourth: Mrs. Shanks, Fifth/Sixth: Ms. Hess, Title Reading: Mrs. Christiansen; Flathead Crossroads – all vacant positions have been filled, they will have a three-week summer program this year.
Staff – nil.
Special Education Coop – nil.
Educational Coop – Tami Ward reported. The Co-op hired Karla Miller to be the new director; teacher professional development this summer will be Math in the Mountains and Northwest Montana Reading Conference.
Playground – Tami Ward reported. The slide will be replaced this summer and woodchips will be ordered in August before school starts.
- The Bus Driver/Maintenance position has been offered and accepted by Jeff Hagen, he’s ready to start immediately.
- OPI sent a letter acknowledging receipt of the General Fund Budget Amendment Resolution and stating we are eligible to receive an additional $26,680 in direct state aid which will be paid in the June 2017 DSA payment.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the Interlocal Agreement for Communication Disorders with the Flathead Special Education Cooperative. Motion passed unanimously.
- Austin Hughes moved and Julie Tikka seconded to approve the property and liability insurance proposal by Payne West (Montana Schools Property & Liability Insurance Plan). Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the renewal of the Principal Teacher employment contract for 2017-2018 as presented for Tami Ward. Motion passed unanimously.
- Nancy Keeton moved and Jeff Sullivan seconded to approve the Title 1 2017 summer tutoring employment agreement as presented for Melissa Potts. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the Custodian employment agreement for 2017-2018 as presented for Susan Peters. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jeff Sullivan moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the mentor/coaching stipend for 2017-2018 as presented for Deborah Christiansen. Motion passed unanimously.
- Austin Hughes moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the Bus Driver/Maintenance 2017-2018 employment agreement as presented for Jeff Hagen. Motion passed unanimously.
- Nancy Keeton moved and Julie Tikka seconded to approve the new Teacher 2017-2018 employment contract as presented for James Christiansen. (He will be .5 counselor, .2 PE, and .3 Title 1.) Motion passed unanimously.
- Austin Hughes moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to give authority to Tammy Bartos, District Clerk, to process claims the remainder of June through the beginning of August without convening a board meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jeff Sullivan moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the 2017-2018 bus route as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Transportation Contract(s) – nil.
- Out of District request(s): – Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to acknowledge the two out of district requests from Evergreen, as the district of choice, and with Creston as the district of residence.
- Gym & School Grounds Use request – nil.
Board Comments: Matt Hartle brought up the subject of the crosswalk on Highway 35 and safety issues; he would like to pursue signage, and the like, further.
Payroll/Substitutes/Claims: The Board approved all claims for June 6, 2017.
Miscellaneous Items of Business: An update on the AED situation was asked for. The refund has been requested and the company (AEDGrant.com a division of Express Companies, Inc.) says it will issue the refund by check in 30 days. The 30 days is up later this week. If we do not receive it we may need to pursue it further through the State Auditors office.
Next Meeting(s) Date:
- Final Budget and Regular Meeting: 10 August 2017 at 7:30 am.
Meeting adjourned at 8:23 a.m.
Tammy Bartos Matt Hartle
District Clerk Chairman