CRESTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #9
REGULAR BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
5 March 2018
Chairman Matt Hartle called the Board of Trustees Meeting to order at 7:30 a.m. in the Creston School Library with the following members present: Nancy Keeton and Joanna Massie, Austin Hughes (arrived at 7:40), Julie Tikka was out with medical concerns. Also in attendance were: Tami Ward – Principal, Tammy Bartos – District Clerk, Teachers: Deb Christensen – Title/PE, Ariann Hess – 6th, Jennifer Johnson, – 2nd, Shanta Milne – K, Melissa Potts – 1st. Prospective Trustees in attendance were Shawn McDonough and Jessica Sandven-Sorensen.
Minutes: Joanna Massie moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the minutes of the 6 February 2018 meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
Information Items: – nil.
Clerk – Tammy Bartos presented report. Statement of Expenditure for March was presented – General Fund is 53% committed to date. Fund 115 Projects Report through 6thof February was presented. Funds are balanced to the County Treasurer for January. OPI Preliminary Budget Data Sheet for FY 2018-2019 was presented. An insurance adjuster will be out to inspect our water loss claim. School District #5 has been contacted regarding renewing our Interlocal Agreement for instructional services of Creston students grade 7 and 8 at KMS.
Principal – Tami Ward presented report. Student Enrollment is currently 101. 2018/2019 Planning: Due to growing class sizes, we will be too big to combine grades; we will need to accommodate another class in our building and hire an additional teacher; also, posting a job for a .5 music and art teacher. MontanaSky has given us a bid for infrastructure improvements – the bid has been forwarded to our Broadband consultant and will be used to get funding for these improvements. Grants: a safety grant for access keypad locks for 2ndand 3rdgrade has been submitted to Roundup for Safety; also, we are the recipients of the $1,000 Rural Excellence District Scholarship to use toward the purchase of a Gaga Pit. Professional Development: Kelly Boswell is working with teachers on Writer’s Workshop March 5th& 6thand Eliza Sorte-Thomas will be here in April to support math instruction. Special Education Cooperative: Interviews were conducted for a new Director and we will soon have a recommendation for hire. Safety Committee: The Run, Lock, Fight training was held February 10th, we are implementing recommendations from the trainers.
Staff – Jennifer Johnson presented a summary report of what is happening in each classroom.
- Principal Evaluation Document, Method & Tool:The evaluation document was provided to each board member. Each board member will individually complete the evaluation, turn it in to Matt Hartle, Board Chair, and he will compile the results into one document to be used at the Principal Evaluation portion of the April Board Meeting.
5th& 6thGrade Presentation – At 8:00 a.m. several 5thand 6thgraders shared Roman Life Poems and Persuasive Writing pieces.
Consideration of Action Items:
- Joanna Massie moved and Nancy Keeton seconded approval a Revised Trustee Resolution Calling for an Election by Poll. The revision was due to an additional trustee position open for election. Motion passed unanimously.
- Nancy Keeton moved and Joanna Massie seconded the acceptance of the 2018-2019 School Year Calendar. The calendar included a school day change of a start time at 8:25. Motion passed unanimously.
- Nancy Keeton moved and Austin Hughes seconded approval of a resolution to dispose of abandoned, obsolete and undesirable property as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Joanna Massie moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to accept the Door Lock Bid for the 2nd& 3rdgrade rooms as presented.Motion passed unanimously.
- Austin Hughes moved and Joanna Massie seconded to approve the request by A. Hess for an additional personal day to carry forward into next fiscal year. Motion passed unanimously.
- Teacher Negotiations/CBA. Jennifer Johnson presented the Creston Education Association 2018-2019 Negotiations. There was discussion and it was decided to table this until more information can be provided regarding the preliminary budget. No motion required.
- Austin Hughes moved and Joanna Massie seconded approval to post a position for an additional full-time teacher position for 2018-2019. Motion passed unanimously.
- Austin Hughes moved and Joanna Massie seconded approval to post a position for a Music (.2) / Art (.3) position for 2018-2019.Motion passed unanimously.
- Joanna Massie moved and Austin Hughes seconded to accept the SB307 Resolution estimating changes in revenues/mills for all funds as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Joanna Massie moved and Austin Hughes seconded to accept the transportation contract as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
Payroll/Substitutes/Claims: The Board approved all claims for March 2018.
Next Meeting(s) Date:
- 13 March 2018 at 5:00 pm. – Special Meeting: budgeting and negotiations.
- 10 April 2018 at 7:30 am.
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 a.m.
Tammy Bartos Matt Hartle
District Clerk Chairman