CRESTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #9
REGULAR BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
15 AUGUST 2017
Chairman Matt Hartle called the Board of Trustees Meeting to order at 7:33 a.m. in the Creston School Library with the following members present: Austin Hughes, Nancy Keeton and Julie Tikka. (Jeff Sullivan was at work.) Also in attendance were: Jack Eggensperger – County Superintendent, Tami Ward – Principal and Tammy Bartos – District Clerk.
Minutes: Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the minutes of the 6 June 2017 meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
Public Participation/Correspondence: nil.
Clerk – Tammy Bartos presented report. BMS accounts were reconciled with the County Treasurer for June. The summer months have been busy with end of year transactions, TFS and Budget preparations. Infinite Campus/AIM has been set up to take attendance – this will allow for easier reporting to OPI. Board Meeting Agenda Format Updates per MTSBA recommendations were explained. Due to auditor scheduling conflicts the FY16 audit has not yet been completed – estimated completion is August 31st.
Principal – Tami Ward presented report. Student Enrollment is currently 94. Smarter Balanced Test Results: 83% of students tested were at/above benchmark in English Language Arts (compared to 87% last year); and in math, 75% of students tested were at/above benchmark (compared to 86% last year). Discipline Program: we will be using the Responsive Classroom philosophy as our whole school discipline. Safety Training: working to ensure all areas of our building are safe and would pass an inspection by the Department of Labor and Industry. AED training: have received the AED and will have staff training on August 28th. Building maintenance: insulation installed in the basement yesterday; sidewalk repairs and HVAC maintenance is scheduled to be completed before school starts. Back-to-School Night: August 28th at 5:30 the PTO is providing a free taco bar just prior to our Open House from 6:00 – 7:00. First day of school is August 30th. Bus route: reviewed adopted route.
Staff – nil.
Playground – Tami Ward reported. Inspection was completed 8/8/17 and any issues are being taken care of.
- Tami Ward briefly went over the Safety Policy Statement, Emergency Action Plan and Accident Reporting. These will be brought to the Board for approval at a later meeting.
Consideration of Action Items:
- Julie Tikka moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the 2016-17 Trustees Financial Summary & 2017-18 Budget. Motion passed unanimously.
- Nancy Keeton moved and Julie Tikka seconded to approve the Interlocal Agreements for Transportation between Creston School and Cayuse Prairie School. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the employment agreement for Rachel Leighty as a teacher’s aide for the 2017-2018 school year. Motion passed unanimously.
- Nancy Keeton moved and Julie Tikka seconded to approve the stipend adjustment for Deborah Christiansen from $2000 to $1000. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the Classified and Hourly Staff Pay Period change to the 25th of the month through the 24th of the following month. Motion passed unanimously.
- Austin Hughes moved and Julie Tikka seconded to approve the Transportation Contracts as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to acknowledge receipt of an attendance agreement with Creston as the district of residence. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the out of district attendance agreements with Creston as the district of choice. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the gym use agreement by Creston Fitness for 2017-2018. Motion passed unanimously.
Payroll/Substitutes/Claims: The Board approved all claims for June 27, 2017 and July 28, 2017.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to give authority to Tammy Bartos, District Clerk, to process claims for August without convening a board meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
Next Meeting(s) Date:
- 7 September 2017 at 7:30 am.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 a.m.
Tammy Bartos Matt Hartle
District Clerk Chairman