CRESTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #9
REGULAR BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
2 MAY 2017
Chairman Matt Hartle called the Board of Trustees Meeting to order at 7:38 a.m. in the Creston School Library with the following members present: Austin Hughes, Nancy Keeton, Julie Tikka and Jeff Sullivan. Also in attendance were: Tami Ward – Principal, Tammy Bartos – District Clerk and Jack Eggensperger – County Superintendent.
Minutes: Jeff Sullivan moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the minutes of the 13 April 2017 regular meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
Public Participation/Correspondence: nil.
Clerk – Tammy Bartos presented report. Statement of Expenditure shows General Fund at 78% committed. Reconciliations to the County Treasurer are completed through March. Fund 115 Projects are in good shape.
Principal – Tami Ward presented report. Social Skill Theme this month is Respect. The full-time teacher position for .5 counseling, .2 PE and .3 Title 1 has been posted, applications have been received and she is looking for volunteers to review applications on May 4th. Smarter Balanced, Math EasyCBM and Fountas and Pinnell Reading Assessments have started and will continue through the month of May. Also, reported on Kindergarten Roundup, End-of-Year Activities, status of AED and IEFA Day.
Staff – nil.
Special Education Coop – Tami Ward reported that they hired another school psychologist and have offered a job to a speech therapist. Also, unfortunately, the cooperative decided not to move forward with a special education preschool building at this time. Crossroads is still on track to open the K-2 program next fall.
Educational Coop – Tami Ward reported that the cooperative has offered the director job to a teacher leader and hope to have an answer this week. Also, the science curriculum committee met and teachers will be coming together to share teacher created resources.
Playground – Tami Ward reported – the slide is in need of repair and depending on the cost of the replacement parts we may possibly replace the entire slide. After raking woodchips around the footings Tami has decided to wait until the fall to bring in more woodchips.
- Julie Tikka moved and Jeff Sullivan seconded to accept Policy #2105 Grade Organization. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jeff Sullivan moved and Austin Hughes seconded to accept Policy #5222 Evaluation of Non-Administrative Staff. Motion passed unanimously.
- Liability Insurance Proposals – Two proposals have been received – one from our existing insurer MSPLIP and another from MSGIA. A representative from MSGIA will be visiting with us (Tami Ward and Tammy Bartos) later today. The proposals are in the office and anyone interested in reviewing them is welcome to do so. We will bring our recommendation to the next board meeting.
- The Bus Driver/Maintenance position has been offered to an applicant and we hope to get a response later this week.
1st Grade Presentation: at 8:00 a.m. Ms. Potts along with some of her 1st grade students gave book report presentations from the Mary Pope Ausborne Magic Tree House series they have read this year, to demonstrate their social studies, science and writing learning.
- Jeff Sullivan moved and Julie Tikka seconded to accept the resignation of the paraprofessional. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the Budget Amendment Resolution due to an unanticipated enrollment increase. Motion passed unanimously.
- Austin Hughes moved and Jeff Sullivan seconded to approve the renewal of certified teacher employment contracts for 2017-2018 as presented for Jamie Shanks, Melissa Potts, Paula Rich, Deb Christensen, Ariann Hess, Shanta Bisch Milne, Jennifer Johnson, Cindi Siler and Pauline Davidson. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jeff Sullivan moved and Julie Tikka seconded to approve the District Clerk Employment Contract for Tammy Bartos for 2017-2018. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jeff Sullivan moved and Nancy Keeton seconded to approve the Pasture Lease Agreement. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jeff Sullivan moved and Julie Tikka seconded to approve the Northwest Montana Educational Cooperative Agreement. Motion passed unanimously.
- Julie Tikka moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the Montana Small School Alliance Agreement. Motion passed unanimously.
- Transportation Contract(s) – nil.
- Out of District request(s): – Nancy Keeton moved and Jeff Sullivan seconded to acknowledge the out of district request from Evergreen, as the district of choice and, with Creston as the district of residence.
- Gym & School Grounds Use request – nil.
Board Comments: nil.
Payroll/Substitutes/Claims: The Board approved all claims for May 2017.
Miscellaneous Items of Business: Tami Ward extended a welcome to Nancy Keeton as a new trustee and a thank you to Jeff Sullivan for his Board Chair service last year; also a thank you to Jack Eggensperger for his attendance today.
Next Meeting(s) Date:
- Regular Meeting 6 June 2017 at 7:30 am.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 a.m.
Tammy Bartos Matt Hartle
District Clerk Chairman