CRESTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #9
REGULAR BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
9 January 2018
Chairman Matt Hartle called the Board of Trustees Meeting to order at 7:33 a.m. in the Creston School Library with the following members present: Austin Hughes (arrived at 7:35), Nancy Keeton, and Joanna Massie. Julie Tikka was out sick. Also in attendance were: Tami Ward – Principal, Tammy Bartos – District Clerk, Jeff Hagen – Bus Driver/Maintenance.
Minutes: Nancy Keeton moved and Joanna Massie seconded to approve the minutes of the 5 December 2017 meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
Public Participation/Correspondence: nil.
Clerk – Tammy Bartos presented report. Statement of Expenditure for January was presented – General Fund is 38% committed to date. Fund 115 Projects Report through 8th of January was presented. Funds are balanced to the County Treasurer for November.
Principal – Tami Ward presented report. Student Enrollment is currently 97. We are waiting on Montana Sky for infrastructure recommendations and radio tower proposal. Reviewed the Flathead County Statistical Report on Schools. The main building has been rekeyed and keyless entry locks should be installed for 2nd and 3rd grade yet this month. Special Ed Coop – the preschool committee is recommending building a Special Education Preschool that would be ready for the 2018/19 school year.
Staff – nil.
- May 8 Trustee Election – Candidates for trustee election on May 8, 2018 may file a Declaration of Intent and Oath of Candidacy between December 14, 2017 and March 29, 2018. There are two position subject to election this May: a three year term (currently held by Austin Hughes) and a one year term (currently held by Joanna Massie).
- Water Loss Claim – An insurance claim was opened the week of 12/31/17 when water dripping from the ceiling in the library and the principal’s office was discovered. There have been other areas of the building since then that have had damage. This will be an ongoing claim through the winter.
- Before School Care Survey – Tami Ward took a survey of current families and then researched what other schools in our area are doing. We had 10 families (16 students) interested in a before school child care program. We would need a minimum of nine families to use the program at a $30/month flat fee to make this a feasible program. This is a program we would possibly offer next year, for the full year, on a trial basis.
- 3121 STUDENTS – Enrollment and Attendance Records (New Policy). 1st
- 5120 PERSONNEL – Hiring Process and Criteria (New Policy). 1st
- 5220 PERSONNEL – Prohibition on Aiding Sexual Abuse (New Policy). 1st
- 5420 PERSONNEL – Paraprofessionals (New Policy). 1st
- 5420F PERSONNEL – ESSA Qualification Notifications (New Policy). 1st
- 8100 NONINSTRUCTIONAL OPERATIONS – Transportation (New Policy). 1st
Kindergarten Presentation – Mrs. Milne explained that she has done a science unit with her students about animals, their classification and their habitats. Seven students presented their individual projects to the board members.
Consideration of Action Items:
- Austin Hughes moved and Joanna Massie seconded to offer the teachers and salaried staff the choice of a one-time stipend of $120.00 or an additional personal day; hourly employees will be paid a one-time stipend of $120.00 to attend the “Run, Lock, Fight!” Intruder Training on Saturday, February 10, 2018. Motion passed unanimously.
- Transportation Contracts – nil.
- Out of District requests – nil.
- Nancy Keeton moved and Austin Hughes seconded to approve the gym use request by Tom Martinez. Motion passed unanimously.
Payroll/Substitutes/Claims: The Board approved all claims for January 2018.
Next Meeting(s) Date:
- 6 February 2018 at 7:30 am.
Meeting adjourned at 8:35 a.m.
Tammy Bartos Matt Hartle
District Clerk Chairman