CRESTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #9
REGULAR BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
10 May 2018
Chairman Matt Hartle called the Board of Trustees Meeting to order at 7:35 a.m. in the Creston School Library with the following members present: Joanna Massie, Shawn McDonough, and Jessica Sandven-Sorensen. Julie Tikka was out with medical concerns. Also in attendance were: Tami Ward – Principal, Tammy Bartos – District Clerk, Jack Eggensperger – County Superintendent, Jennifer Johnson, – 2ndgrade teacher and Emily Russell – 2018/19 6thgrade teacher.
Minutes: Joanna Massie moved and Shawn McDonough seconded to approve the minutes of the 12 April 2018 meetings. Motion passed unanimously.
- Update regarding the Amendment of Solid Waster Service Charges for Schools: The Flathead County Solid Waste District is postponing the fee increase until January 2019. This will give school districts time to evaluate and/or modify their waste management services. We will be contacting our hauling company for ways to lower the overall rate (i.e. reduce container size and installing a locking mechanism to reduce household use of our container).
Clerk – Tammy Bartos presented report. Statement of Expenditure for May was presented – General Fund is 70% committed to date. Fund 115 Projects Report through 10thof May was presented. Funds are balanced to the County Treasurer for March. Gutters and Siding repairs are completed and the insurance claim has been completed. There is an unemployment insurance audit as well as our annual fiscal audit for FY17 in process.
Principal – Tami Ward presented report. Student Enrollment is currently 102. Statewide Testing: Third through 6thgrade Students began SBAC testing May 7th. Broadband: Grant notice of approval was received and the infrastructure improvements have been completed. Grants: the Gaga Ball pit (and ball toss) has been installed – students were enthusiastic about these new recess options. Building Maintenance: plans are being made to accommodate sixth grade and for various other improvements over the summer. We hosted the Salish Kootenai College pre-service teachers who presented an afternoon of Indian Education. Updates in teacher professional development, Education Cooperative, Special Education Cooperative and Crossroads were given. Safety Committee: All violations from our MT Department of Labor inspection have been corrected and the case has been closed; also the report from our DEQ inspection was received and corrective action taken as noted; last safety meeting was May 9th. School Survey: the goal for the survey was to see what services our community is looking for as well as ways we can improve instruction, communication, and facilities; survey results were distributed. Teachers have been surveyed and have agreed to adopt the Montana Educator Performance Appraisal System (EPAS) as the teacher evaluation tool for the 2018/19 school year; copies were distributed for board review. Principal contract negotiations will be next month and a principal pay scale is being proposed.
Staff – Jennifer Johnson presented a summary report of what is happening in each classroom.
- 3140 STUDENTS – Class Size Policy. Revision to existing policy. 1st No motion needed.
- Joanna Massie moved and Shawn McDonough seconded to approve policy 3416 STUDENTS – Administering Medicines to Students as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Shawn McDonough moved and Joanna Massie seconded to approve policy 5122F PERSONNEL – Applicant Rights and Consent to Fingerprint as presented.Motion passed unanimously.
- Jessica Sandven-Sorensen moved and Joanna Massie seconded to approve the 5000 PERSONNEL series of job descriptions as presented: 5000P – Principal, 5000SET – Special Education Teacher, and 5000T – Teacher. Motion passed unanimously.
3rdGrade Presentation – At 8:00 a.m. several 3rdgraders shared 1) math concepts about fractions; 2) perspectives of a historical event (social studies standard of comparing two perspectives); 3) an imaginary animal that could survive in every biome on earth (science: how animals have traits that can be influenced by their environment).
Consideration of Action Items:
- Tower Site Easement Agreement with MontanaSky Networks, Inc. Joanna Massie and Shawn McDonough agreed to serve on a committee with Tami Ward to review the agreement and suggested revisions. They will bring the agreement back to the full Board for approval. No motion needed.
- Joanna Massie moved and Jessica Sandven-Sorensen seconded approval of the Flathead Special Education Cooperative Program / Severe Communication Interlocal Agreement. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jessica Sandven-Sorensen moved and Joanna Massie seconded approval of the Flathead Special Education Cooperative Preschool Program Interlocal Agreement. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jessica Sandven-Sorensen moved and Joanna Massie seconded approval of the Audit Engagement Letter with Nicole M. Noonan, CPA, P.C. Motion passed unanimously.
- Joanna Massie moved and Jessica Sandven-Sorensen seconded to approve the parking lot expansion project, option #1. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jessica Sandven-Sorensen moved and Shawn McDonough seconded to approve the Bigfork-Creston Transportation Interlocal Agreement as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Shawn McDonough moved and Joanna Massie seconded to approve the upgrade to the roof above the library area as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Jessica Sandven-Sorensen moved and Joanna Massie seconded approval of the Teacher Contract as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Joanna Massie moved and Shawn McDonough seconded to acknowledge the Out of District requests as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Joanna Massie moved and Jessica Sandven-Sorensen seconded to accept the gym use request by Julie Cummins/Creston Fitness Bootcamp on Monday and Wednesday evenings, August 2018 – June 2019 as presented.Motion passed unanimously.
Payroll/Substitutes/Claims: The Board approved all claims for May 2018.
Next Meeting(s) Date:
- 7 June 2018 at 7:30 a.m.
Meeting adjourned at 8:42 a.m.
Tammy Bartos Matt Hartle
District Clerk Chairman